Are Overachievers Impossible To Date?by Erin Meanley



Monday, 09/27/2010
3:50 PM

How does James Franco make time for his girlfriend? He’s a movie star, artist, short story writer, and a grad student currently earning about 50 academic degrees. Gawd. New York City is full of overachievers, and Franco is the poster child.
I thought that when I left NYC, I had said goodbye to all the competitive, Type A, Ivy League Wall Streeters and their ilk. But this past weekend I went out with what turned out to be a scary-busy overachiever.

He was a tall, fit, Ivy League doctor who looked good on paper. He didn't appear to be Type A. However, after we made a date, I began to have other concerns. At second glance, his online profile showed ZERO sense of humor. And, paired with two professional portraits—and no other photos—I started worrying he was a real-life Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. I imagined him sending me home, chopped up in bits. He wanted to pick me up at my house in his Porsche, but I didn’t want him to know where I live.

At a trendy Peruvian restaurant, I learned that he had just opened his own practice. He had also patented some hospital device and was self-publishing a novel. He was a total James Franco, except he took himself too seriously. He told me his ex-wife had called him an egomaniac! Who shares that?

He was one cheesy and intense individual. At one point, he actually said, “How would you describe the smell of this wine to Shakespeare, without making comparisons to any other smells?” I said, “Really? I’m off-duty. I don’t want to be creative.” He waited; his face said, What a fun little game! So I said something about a cold, gritty gravestone choked by the acidity of the surrounding dirt. I really wanted to say, “I smell a date that's about to end.”

One good thing, he told me I don’t need Botox or Restylane. Yet.

Anyway, I went home and rattled off all his achievements to my mother. She said, “If he’s so great, how come no one has scooped him up yet?” I had to laugh, but then I thought, What if people say that about me? No one’s scooping me up, either!

He asked me out again but I just said the timing wasn’t right.

Are you dating an overachiever? Does he make room in his life for you? Isn’t it funny that a perfect resume often signals an imperfect boyfriend?


More Ways to Get Glamour
Visit ShopGlamour.com for cute stuff starting at just $10!
Enter the latest Glamour sweepstakes!
Follow us on Twitter!
Add us to your iGoogle homepage.

Photo: 2010 Jon Kopaloff
by Erin Meanley
From Glamour.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I saw this article, can't help myself to smile? or maybe I should say, To Laugh! ahhaha!

No comments: